Although it’s the fall season, happy hours and social events aren’t slowing down in the District. Here are some news items every D.C. citizen should know. These news items can also provide that perfect opener when you’re standing alone at a happy hour. You’re welcome
- Look who is tying the knot: District of Columbia Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee and her bi-coastal beau fiancee Kevin Johnson, mayor of Sacramento. Rhee says the engagement will be long and she still hopes to turn around D.C. schools. Hmm, I know many teachers would love to see her go now (just saying…)
- The D.C. Zoning Commission is set to decide today on whether to approve the Art Place and Shops at Fort Totten, a 2-million-square-foot development that would include 929 housing units, a grocery store, a senior center, and cultural and arts spaces.
- “The D.C. sniper” is set to be executed this week through lethal injection. John Allen Muhammad is scheduled to be killed in Virginia. Many families are expected to witness his execution.
- D.C. Council member Marion Barry‘s mother, Mattie Cummings, died early Sunday morning in her hometown of Memphis, Tenn. She was 92.
- First lady Michelle Obama recently launched a mentoring program on Monday to give local high school girls access to women at the White House.